CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, September 13, 2007

It's getting colder here!!

So every night here seems like it's getting colder and colder, which isn't a good thing. I think that it's darker here than Alaska, which also isn't a good thing. BUT Im having a blast and that's all that matters. So we are going on our first excursion with the group I came over with--well I should say the people who also came over with the same program. Anyway we are going out to the country somewhere to Pavlovsk and Tsarskoye selo (village) -imperial residences so that should be a lot of fun. Even for as poor as people are here it's amazing the palaces and cathedrals that are here they are so ornate.

School is good--although I only have one class so I am looking into working or teaching english or something to pass the rest of the day away. I just got a roomate so I am no longer in my own room, which was sad, but she's really nice. She is from Florence (Italy) and she really doesn't speak English so we just speak in Russian, which is good for the both of us. There are now four of us in a dorm with two bedrooms and one toilet and bath. There is also one kitchen and that consists of a very teeny tiny refridgerator and that makes it hard to buy our own food so we have to eat out a lot. But then again thats not so bad either because Russia has mostly cafe's and regular restaurants that serve fairly healthy food. There are Mc'ds everywhere and I have found a Subway and KFC, but haven't eaten there yet. We like to try different cafes--oh yeah Sushi has really taken off here and there are sushi bars almost everywhere so we have eaten a lot of that too. Anyway I guess what I am trying to say is that eating out here is almost just like eating at home cause it's all pretty much prepared the same way. They don't deepfry a lot of food here in fact hardly ever do I see that.

Well--what else do you want to know? If there are certain places you would like pics of please let me know I would be happy to go. One thing here I didn't miss was the transportation system. Here when you ride the bus you have to be able to push, shove, bite (just kidding), and be able to stand within inches of someone else. They have no max. limit its just how many can possibly fit in. Especially in the am when everyone is going to work or school--people will crowd in so much that by the time they are all in sometimes the doors don't shut and someone has to ride with his butt sticking out--I AM NOT KIDDING! It's hilarious. When it's that full you have to know when your stop is and have to start asking everyone "are you getting off" if not they move if they can and you just push yourself through the mass of people. It's hard for the little people and just funny with my big butt--but what can you do, but smile and get through it. However, if they had any sense you could wait another 5 or 7 minutes and get on the next one. I will never understand it.

Well I guess that's enough for now. I hope everyone is doing well. Miss you!

3 comments:

E-ca said...

Well, at least if you have to have a roommate, she is Italian... because Italians ROCK! :) Tell her your Italy obsessed friend says hi!

I am so glad to hear you are having so much fun and having such a great experience! I am so jealous!

Motorcycle Mamma said...

Wow Tessa. Dad and I just talked to you on the phone and I am looking at these pictures and reading your blog. I guess now we can see why people are so poor...all the cash went in to building these palaces and such. A lot like it is in India too. And the buses being so over loaded, also like in India. I never had to get on one of them thank goodness! You sound wonderful and we are so happy you are having a great time!
MOM

Miles and Bex said...

Sounds amazing. The kids are sure missing you. They ask when you are coming over again. Aunt Angie came over about a week ago and they asked where their treats were. Then they told her that good aunts bring treats everytime they come over. We had to explain to the kids that only their Aunt Tessa spoils them that much. They just love you. We are excited to see you over Christmas.